jueves, 26 de mayo de 2011

London XLI. An Ali's present

Ali is my teacher. The teachers frequently change in the Wimbledon School of English and I have been with Ali more than two months. I like Ali because she makes the classes fun and looks really concerned about our learning. She is caring and chatty and likes Spain (except for bullfights). On the one hand she is very British but on the other hand she would seem latin, because she is affectionate and touches you when she is talking with you.
She has given me a present today. I was in the common room this early morning and she approached me and told me: "I have a present for you" and, suddenly, she gave me a book, "Age of Iron", by J. M. Coetzee. I had told her I liked Coetzee. You know, you have to talk about many things in class. It is the method of learning. We have to talk a lot with each others, even about our grandparents. She remembered what I said about Coetzee and have given me this lovely gift. I love Ali.
But it is also true. I am passionate about Coetzee and when I remember I have outstanding to read 2 or 3 of his books I am glad to think that soon I will leave this dive and will return to enjoy reading in Castilian, that I have now prohibited by myself. Age of Iron was my first contact with Coetzee and since then he is among my favorites. It will be difficult to read it in English, but I'll try it. Thanks Ali.
P1060406-1

London LXI. Un regalo de Ali.

Ali es mi profesora. Los profesores cambian con frecuencia en la Wimbledon School of English y yo he estado con Ali durante más de dos meses. Me gusta Ali porque hace las clases entretenidas y se la ve preocupada por nuestro aprendizaje. Ella es afectuosa y habladora y le gusta España (a excepción de las corridas de toros). Por un lado es muy británica, pero por otro lado podría parecer latina, porque es cariñosa y te toca cuando está hablando contigo.
Hoy me ha hecho un regalo. Yo estaba en la "Common Room" esta mañana temprano y ella se me acercó y me dijo: "Tengo un regalo para ti" y, de repente, me dio un libro, La Edad de Hierro, de JM Coetzee. Yo le había dicho que me gustaba Coetzee. Ya sabes, tienes que hablar de muchas cosas en clase. Es el método de aprendizaje. Tenemos que hablar mucho entre nosotros, hasta de nuestros abuelos. Se acordó de lo que dije sobre Coetzee y me ha dado este hermoso regalo. Me encanta Ali.
Pero también es cierto. Soy un apasionado de Coetzee y cuando recuerdo que tengo pendientes de leer dos o tres de sus libros me alegro de pensar que pronto voy a salir de esta inmersión y volveré a disfrutar de la lectura en castellano, que me tengo prohibida ahora. La Edad de Hierro fue mi primer contacto con Coetzee y desde entonces es uno de mis favoritos. Será difícil leerla en Inglés, pero voy a intentarlo. Gracias Ali.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario