domingo, 20 de febrero de 2011

London XVII

On Sunday I went to Mass with my host family. Maybe I did not tell you they are a Catholic family very involved in the activities of their parish and their children's schools, which are Catholic as well.
The ceremony is a bit different than in Spain. I think possibly Anglican ceremonies have influenced the practice of the Catholic Church Sunday in England. The priest entered the church at the beginning of the Mass preceded by a group of acolytes with candles. The Mass is sung, everyone receives communion and at the end the parade is repeated in reverse. At the entrance to the Church there are missals and books of psalms, as in the Protestant churches and a paper with the Mass of the day, which allowed me to follow it in English. I followed the homily as I could. The gospel of the day was the famous passage about "the other cheek." The celebrant spoke of current issues and mentioned to Gandhi and Mandela. The speech looked to have more sense than which I remembered in Spain. At the end of the Mass I was introduced to the pastor, a nice Irish and we had a friendly and short talk.

Traducción de cortesía.
El domingo fui a misa con mi familia de acogida. Tal vez no te he dicho que son una familia católica muy involucrada en las actividades de su parroquia y de los colegios de sus hijos, que son también católicos.
La ceremonia es un poco diferente que en España. Creo que posiblemente las ceremonias anglicanas han influido en la práctica del domingo de la Iglesia Católica en Inglaterra. El sacerdote entra en la Iglesia al comienzo de la misa precedido por un grupo de acólitos con velas. La misa es cantada, todo el mundo recibe la Comunión y al final el desfile se repite a la inversa. A la entrada de la iglesia hay misales y libros de salmos, como en las Iglesias Protestantes y un papel con la Misa del día, lo que me permitió seguirla en inglés. Seguí la homilía como pude. El evangelio del día fue el famoso pasaje sobre "la otra mejilla". El celebrante habló de temas de actualidad y mencionó a Gandhi y Mandela. El discurso me pareció que tenía más sentido que los que recordaba en España. Al final de la misa me presentaron al párroco, un agradable irlandés, con el que tuve unas breves y amables palabras.







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario