sábado, 2 de abril de 2011

London XXV. Any weekend

Yesterday we said goodbye to a few colleagues from the School, who finished their courses and returned to their countries. A large group of us had lunch together and then we fixed an appointment to a meeting in the evening. I decided to go out, after some doubts. We went to a nightclub in the centre of Wimbledon, where a half of the school was or was coming. I drank a couple of beers and spent the necessary time to ensure that such sites is the same in all countries. But here in adition with a stifling heat. The truth is that I amused myself watching the people. After two beers I went home and the rest remained there. This was because the age, I suppose. I mean the age of them.
I went out early today in the morning to visit the Churchill Museum and the Cabinet War Rooms. I thought the site would be small (it is true) and there would be many visitors. There were not a lot of people early, but it is also true that this museum is less touristy and more to the British public. However, it is very interesting and the museum dedicated to Churchill is a very successful exhibition with many different elements and museum techniques, which display in a fairly pleasant way the national hero’s life and works.
Then I went to the National Gallery because I wanted to buy a museum guide and I did. I doubted if I bought it in English or Spanish and decided to buy the English version. I was glad. I sat for a while to read the review of two or three paintings that interested me and I found I could read them very fluently, with a few gaps which my iPhone quickly resolved. How was life before? And only a few months ago. I ate in the café of the National Gallery, where I stayed for a while reading the newspaper while I was bathing in the sun which coming through the window and still not annoying.
I went back to the street and it was early, so I decided to try a new way to visit London: on a bicycle.

IMG_0758

It was an exciting, although a bit dangerous experience. The rental system and delivery of the bike is much easier than in Seville, you do not have to manage any paper, just to put your credit card, but Seville is much better prepared for cyclists than London (poor Monteseirín, no one will thank him). I was riding up and down around Central London for a while. We went along Oxford Street and Regent Street, where I risked my life between cars and buses, but then I went to quiet streets, went down to Trafalgar Square and I arrived to Buckingham Palace by The Mall.

Traducción cortesía de Google, with arrangements.

London XXV. Cualquier fin de semana.

Ayer despedimos a unos cuantos compañeros de la Escuela, que terminaban sus cursos y volvían a sus países. Comimos juntos un nutrido grupo y luego quedamos para salir por la noche. Después de dudarlo, al final, me animé a salir. Fuimos a una discoteca, en el centro de Wimbledon, donde estaba o fue llegando la mitad de la Escuela. Me tomé un par de cervezas y pasé allí el tiempo necesario para comprobar que ese tipo de sitios es igual en todos los países. Pero aquí con el detalle añadido de un calor sofocante. La verdad es que me entretuve contemplando el paisanaje. Después de las dos cervezas volví a casa. Allí permaneció el resto. Cosas de la edad, supongo. De la de ellos, quiero decir.
Hoy salí de casa de buena mañana para visitar el Churchill Museum y las Cabinet War Rooms. Pensé que el sitio sería pequeño (es verdad) y los visitantes numerosos. No había mucha gente a primera hora, pero, es verdad también que es un museo menos turístico y más para el público británico. No obstante, es muy interesante y la parte del museo dedicada a Churchill es una exhibición muy lograda, con muchos elementos y técnicas museográficas diferentes, que consiguen exhibir de un modo bastante ameno la vida y obras del héroe nacional.
Después me acerqué a la National Gallery, porque quería comprar una guía del museo y así lo hice. Dudé si comprarla en inglés o en español y decidí comprar la versión inglesa. Me alegré. Me senté un rato a leer la reseña de dos o tres cuadros que me interesaban y comprobé que podía leerlas casi de corrido, con escasas lagunas que resolvía mi iPhone rápidamente. ¿Cómo era la vida antes? Y solo hace unos pocos meses. Comí en la agradable cafetería de la National Gallery, en la que me quedé un rato leyendo el periódico, mientras me bañaba el sol que entraba por la ventana y que todavía no es molesto.
Salí de nuevo a la calle y era temprano, así que decidí probar una nueva manera de visitar Londres: en bicicleta. Ha sido una experiencia excitante, aunque un poco peligrosa. El sistema de alquiler y entrega de las bicicletas es mucho más sencillo que en Sevilla, no tienes que hacer ningún papel, solo poner tu tarjeta de crédito, pero Sevilla está mucho mejor preparada para los ciclistas que Londres (pobre Monteseirín, nadie se lo agradecerá). Anduve pedaleando por todo el centro de Londres durante un buen rato. Oxford Street y Regent Street, donde me jugaba la vida entre coches y autobuses, aunque después me metí por calles más tranquilas, baje por Trafalgar Square y llegué hasta Buckingham Palace por The Mall.

1 comentario:

  1. si monteseirin leyese tu blog estaria orgullosote, porque ya sabes que muchos sevillanos no piensan como tú. Bss

    ResponderEliminar